Carl Goes Amsterdam
Welcome to Carl Goes Amsterdam, a book that brings the local voices of Amsterdammers to our curious and creative travellers. Carl Goes Amsterdam is a lifestyle accompaniment. Many of our fans read our books from cover to cover before they travel to a destination, as an immersive experience before they leave home. They dip their toe in and out while they’re in a city, taking inspiration from our interviewees and our recommendations, before veering off and crafting their own adventures. Unlike most other books out there, we’ve written and published the book within the same year. We think all of these things make Carl Goes a little different from other city guides, but we’ll let you decide for yourselves.
Martien Mellema: Amsterdam is a city that looks great in denim!
Tatjana Quax: In every part of Amsterdam there’s something interesting and creative going on, whereas in cities like Berlin, Copenhagen, London or Paris, you have to travel to certain neighbourhoods to find a creative space or project. In Amsterdam we’re spoiled.
Árpád Gerecsey: A really important factor is that the city officials are perfectly aware of the need for the creative scene.
Futurist Adjiedj Bakas: globalisation will slow down; it will become ‘slowbalisation’.
This is Carl Goes Amsterdam:
- Eight interviews with locals, from start-up business owners to design gurus;
- Information about working in Amsterdam, including co-working spaces, networking and industry events;
- Guides to the different neighbourhoods in Amsterdam;
- Our top tips of how to spend three days, three weeks and three months in Amsterdam;
- Where to eat and drink in Amsterdam, from food trucks and tiny eetcafés, to small drinking holes and upscale bars;
- Where to stay in Amsterdam;
- Ideas of how to ‘get lost’ in the city;
- Practical information about how to get there and;
- More than 100 colour photographs to give you a sense of Amsterdam’s DNA.