Carl Goes Kassel
Kassel is a city with a beating heart that peaks every five years when the world famous documenta exhibition of modern and contemporary art arrives. The 100 day festival sees the city transformed, with art installations and events springing up across Kassel. The population of the city swells, with up to a million of the world’s art lovers arriving, giving Kassel an uber-international personality.
While documenta provides a cultural structure, the city has a thriving creative and entrepreneurial scene every other day of the year too. The art school (Kunsthochschule Kassel) has a big influence, with former students setting up creative enterprises that rival those in much larger cities. In tech, entrepreneurial start-up businesses congregate in the Science Park. And across the city, creativity and entrepreneurialism collide in innovative businesses, whether its upcycling fashion, quirky museums or craft beers brewed with the city’s honey.
Some call Kassel ‘the forest with a few houses’, embodying a feeling that is often more ‘green’ and less ‘city’. So it’s no wonder that during their leisure time, Kassel locals love to chill out in the city’s parks, including in the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the largest hillside park in Europe. During the summer the outdoors takes on a new meaning, with some brave locals reinstating the former trend of river bathing.
With a feeling of space, creative freedom and influence from the art world’s greats, we invite you to become a citizen of Kassel for the timebeing.
Carl Goes Kassel includes:
- Five interviews with locals, from creative entrepreneurs to start-up innovators;
- Information about working in Kassel, including networking opportunities, inspiring events and co-working spaces;
- Guides to local neighbourhoods in Kassel, including tips of where local residents like to hang out;
- Our top tips of how to spend three days or three weeks in Kassel;
- Where to eat, drink and shop in Kassel, as recommended by our interviewees and other Kassel locals;
- Highlights of the most entrepreneurial and innovative things going on in Kassel;
- Where to stay in Kassel, from design hotels to quirky guesthouses;
- Ideas of how to ‘get lost’ in Kassel to explore the city for yourself;
- Practical information about how to get there, get around and generally get by in Kassel for the duration of your trip;
- Day and weekend trips away from Kassel, and a guide to other places in the world with a similar vibe;
- Colour photography to give you a sense of Kassel’s DNA.